organic chemistry {noun} the chemistry of carbon compounds (other than simple salts such as carbonates, oxides, and carbides)

April 29, 2008

WTF?

So back in September or October, I received a letter from Idaho's Dept of Health and Welfare regarding child support. First, I don't have a problem paying child support. I mean, it makes things difficult financially from time to time, and I think that how the money is actually being spent by the receiving parent should be monitored to ensure the money is being used appropriately. Children have needs that require both parents to provide and I gladly share this responsibility. That's fine. But this post is not about that.

The letter I received was short and to the point. Basically is stated that in an effort to reduce the national deficit, the federal government had approved a fee to be applied to the child support received by the custodial parent. It went on to say that, because of the response they received, they had changed the fee to be paid by the parent paying the support. The fee is a once-a-year payment of $25.

What the fuck?! This is not about the money, obviously. Does the government really think that the national deficit will be reduced from the money that they receive from this fee? How much will they really collect? How can they expect fathers (in most cases) to pay for the deficit? Oh, and by the way, how much money are you all getting back in the coming weeks from these tax rebate/stimulus checks? I know, with my wife and dependents , I should be getting about $1300.

Here is a link. I received the letter, and the fee shows on my state child support statement, a fee that I have not yet paid and probably will not pay. Is it just me, or does this sound ridiculous? I mean, who's next? "Oh boy, we didn't get much out of those parents, maybe we should try U.S. citizens who scuba dive south of the equator. Ooooh, or what about people employed in the toy manufacturing industry? No, we've given all that up to China. How about anyone who bought a Ford in the last decade?"

Seriously, what a bunch of fucking idiots.


Updated: Link

No comments: